Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week #35 - Mini Cushions Galore!

Before I tell you all about project #35, I just wanted to report that with thanks to The Folkhouse Cafe and bar, and all those who came along to make bookmarks or donate, I was able to add an additional £35.00 for the ongoing total for Macmillan which makes week #34 a success.

This week I decided to do something a little bit different. As a quilter I hoard fabric and never get rid of small scraps, at the same time when I buy new fabric I  hold on tightly to my new big pieces of fabric, not wanting to cut into them.  This results in my saving lots of little scraps 'just in case' and on the flip side, hoardings loads of gorgeous graphic prints until I know what to do with them.

Lately I've been doing lots of cushion making; cushion making courses, cushions for sale, patchwork cushions and on, and on.  Now cushions are a great way to play with your stash, because they let you play with fabrics on a small scale and you can cut into your bigger pieces and work with them, without committing loads of your yardage. You can play with the fabrics while still saving enough for something bigger.

While I always get lots of praise for my big cushions, be it patchwork cushions or ones made with bold prints, they don't always sell on my stall or in shops because decor is so personal and I tend to use quite bold colours and contrasting patchworks...

So after a little inspiration from my trip to Argentina, I've decided to introduce: the mini cushion!





Such a simple idea, and yet so effective. Add a splash of colour or a bit of whimsy, without having to go the whole nine yards and buy a 16-inch whopper.  These little cushions are so fun, and they are also great stacked and bundled up as gifts.


The beauty is that I'm only work with small bits of fabric, so they don't cost much to make and they are quick and simple!

I'll be auctioning off two of these little cushions this week on E-bay.... and do stay tuned because I'm catching up and week #36's craft is coming your way this evening!


Check out the auctions as they go live this evening below:

No comments:

Post a Comment